Friday, July 22, 2011

Romans 1:2


  • NKJV - "...which He promised before through His prophets in the Holy Scriptures..."
  • KJV - "...which he had promised afore by his prophets in the Holy Scriptures..."
  • NIV - "...the gospel he promised beforehand through his prophets in the Holy Scriptures..."

"He promised..." and whenever God promises, you'd better believe it's coming true!  That's probably my favorite part in the verse.  I love to hear that God promises things to us - and then follows through!  The NIV makes it more clear, but what this verse is describing the gospel we mentioned in Romans 1:1 ("...set apart for the gospel of God...").  The gospel is the good news of Jesus Christ, God's Son: His coming, dying, rising, and coming again!  Our Father God promised this good news through His prophets in the Old Testament: Isaiah, Micah, Jeremiah... etc.  Isaiah contains the most information about Jesus.

I encourage you, and myself, to read through the gospels - Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John - and find all of the references to the prophecies concerning the Messiah.  I started to mark all the prophecy references in Matthew, and I was amazed at how many there were just in the first few chapters!  Like seven or eight!  I can't wait to find more!  It may just be the way I think, but I absolutely love the references to the Old Testament (or the Holy Scriptures, as known back then) in the New Testament!  Jesus fulfilled so many prophecies... all of the ones about a Messiah, in fact, 100%!  It's really neat to think that Isaiah was written around 800 years before Jesus was even born!  God orchestrates things so beautifully!  Much lovelier than any symphony I've heard!

Please post any additions to my thoughts, any questions, any comments, any anything!  Thank you for reading!  Our God is truly an Awesome God!

No comments:

Post a Comment